The Manager, Business Development (BD) is responsible for leading several strategic initiatives that connect various business functions with the goal of growing CN’s top line revenue.
The incumbent works closely with project teams to determine CN’s strategy focused on opportunities that extend CN’s reach, attract new customers and collaborate with supply chain partners.
This critical leadership role develops and implements strategies that address cost savings and grow revenue and contribution to the organization in a safe and efficient way.
The position is responsible for the project team’s results and ensures projects are delivered within scope, on time and within budget.
The incumbent maintains a holistic view of CN’s business as well as a solid understanding of its strategic vision.
Business Development and Project Management
- Play an active role in leading and managing multi-disciplinary teams within CN to tackle complex challenges facing the organization
- Establish and manage project timelines and budgets
- Review and assess technical reports and Engineering drawings, and provide support in their development to inform projects
- Structure and document the assessment of strategic business opportunities with frequent updates on projects at all levels of the organization
- Inform, involve and coordinate all actions required from various stakeholders, to secure buy-in, and represent projects to senior leadership to secure approval and financing
- Ensure safety is integrated into project design and planning
- Coordinate meetings with external stakeholders and internal staff as required in the development of projects
- Establish and maintain partner relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Shape business ideas into clearly executable initiatives that are aligned with the grander corporate strategy
- Investigate, understand and challenge current business processes and work collaboratively with internal teams to establish innovative solutions for existing or anticipated bottlenecks
- Participate in working groups and task forces to identify new efficiencies to expedite project completion
Keep abreast of the economic environment, transportation industry changes and emerging technologies that impact CN’s business and major capital investments including changes to regulatory environments (e.
g. Transport Canada, Canadian Transportation Agency, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, etc.)
- Attend and present at strategic conferences and forums to maintain positive relationships with external stakeholders
- Support government and regulatory relations activities
Data Compliance, Agreement and Reporting
- Draft agreements (e.g. Operating, Interchange, Interline, Siding Agreements, licenses, AFE’s, etc.), licences and Operating Marking Interchange Agreements (OMIA)
- Update BD databases to ensure information is tracked appropriately so that data can be extracted, manipulated and interpreted
- Manage data compliance and ensure information is properly uploaded into BD systems
- Carry out reporting including extracting data, manipulating and reporting on data to Executives
The role has standard working conditions in an office environment with a regular workweek from Monday to Friday. The incumbent must be available to work additional hours when necessary.
The role requires occasional short-haul travel (15%) to customer sites across Western Canada, and long-haul travel (5%) across Canada.
Minimum 5 years of related business experience in an Operations, Logistics, Marketing, Finance or Engineering environment
oProven record of project management and stakeholder engagement
oPrevious experience in logistics and transportation industry*
oInternational BD experience*
oSupply Chain experience*
Any experience for these above would be considered as an asset
Education / Certification / Designation
- Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce, Engineering or equivalent
- Professional designation including CITT, P. Eng., MBA*
- Project Management (PMP) or other equivalent*
- Any designation for these above would be considered as an asset
- Improves processes on a continuous basis to enhance safety, security and to reduce CN's environmental footprint
- Cultivates relationships to proactively support customers’ supply chain needs or those that support them
- Develops solutions that align with customers’ expectations to increase satisfaction
- Shares timely information within and across functions to get things done effectively
- Collaborates with key internal stakeholders to enable higher productivity
- Builds and maintains an internal and external network to support a better overall work experience
- Inspires others with impactful communications and adapts to the audience
- Initiates and drives organizational changes to enable business transformation
- Knows the business and stays current with industry trends to elevate expertise and work
- Is agile in responding to the rapid evolution of the industry and of technology
- Is able to work independently and be a self-starter with a sense of urgency and a curiosity regarding business, economics, engineering, and / or construction
- Ability to think strategically and out of the box
- Fluent English written and verbal with French fluency an asset
- Any skills / attributes for these above would be considered as an asset
Technical Skills / Knowledge
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Understanding of track specifications and interpretation of rail design*
- Knowledge of real estate transactions and evaluations*
- Financial modelling knowledge*
- Any knowledge for any of the above would be considered as an asset 10 hours ago