The Signals and Communications (S&C) Quality Assurance Supervisor Eastern Region is responsible for handling installation projects, along with ensuring that the preparation and in service testing are completed as per CN’s standards.
The incumbent handles material acquisition, tracks project timelines, interfaces with Signal Design Engineers, tests software as well as prepares cutover and testing.
In addition, the role works with other parts of the department on budgets, project estimation, and site evaluation.
- Prepare scope documents and submit to Signal Design for proposed projects
- Participate in site surveys to resolve reconstruction work required and estimate costs to complete
- Work closely with local supervisors, Signal Design personnel, and managers on projects that fall under their jurisdiction
- Identify material, manpower, and design short falls in projects
- Make corrections to allow efficient installation and budget commitments
- Handle budgets on construction projects
- Participate and develop pretesting and cutover plans for S&C projects
Procedures and Reports
- Ensure all test procedures are followed and documented
- Participate in the preparation of credible reports of activation failures and other wrong side failures
- Stay alert and prepared for unusual conditions or circumstances
The role is performed in a combination of office and outdoors environments in various types of weather conditions with shift work including weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
The role requires being available on-call 24 / 7 to respond to critical incidences. Due to the nature of the role, the incumbent must be able to meet tight deadlines, handle pressure and stress.
The role requires frequent travel (60%) which will include overnight stays away from home.
Signals and Communications
- Minimum 5 years of experience in S&C Experience working with Systems, Applications and Products (SAP)*
- Any experience for these above would be considered as an asset
Education / Certification / Designation
- High School Diploma or General Educational Development (GED)
- 2 years of College or Technical School with a focus on Electrical or Electronics Technology
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical or Electronic Engineering*
- Valid Driver’s Licence
- United States Operating Rules (USOR) Certification
- Any designation for these above would be considered as an asset
- Leads by example for the safety and security of all
- Considers ESG principles in all operations
- Solves problems to create value
- Demonstrates active listening
- Collaborates with others and shares information
- Sets direction and inspires others
- Communicates with impact
- Develops self and others
- Applies critical thinking
- Demonstrates agility and drives change
Technical Skills / Knowledge
- Excellent working knowledge of signal systems, applicable regulatory requirements, S&C standards, specifications, and procedures
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel and Word)
As a leading North American transportation and logistics company, CN is a true backbone of the economy. With a team of approximately 25,000 railroaders, our focus is on moving both our company and the economy forward.
We transport US$200 billion worth of goods annually for a wide range of business sectors from resource to manufactured products to consumer goods, across a 20,000-mile network spanning Canada and mid-America.
CN is the only Canadian company listed in the Transportation and Transportation Infrastructure sector of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI).
Launched in 1999, the DJSI World represents the gold standard for corporate sustainability. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.1 day ago