JANUARY 10, 2024NETWORK SPECIALISTPOSITION NUMBER : 00021392 POSITION STATUS : Continuous, Full-TimeDIVISION : TechnologiesDEPARTMENT : Information Technology & InfrastructureSALARY RANGE : 10 $81,693 to $104,457UNION CATEGORY : PIPSCFLEXIBILITY PROFILE : Mostly On-SiteLOCATION : MontrealSECURITY CLEARANCE : SecretAre you passionate about great storytelling, about exploring the issues that matter, about pushing the boundaries in new audiovisual experiences?
So are we. As Canada’s public producer and distributor, the National Film Board has been telling the country’s stories and pioneering breakthroughs in virtually every field of audiovisual content since 1939.
But to do this, we need a team that truly reflects the richness and diversity of Canada. If you’d like to be a part of this team and part of the NFB’s incredible legacy we’d love to hear from you.
SUMMARY OF DUTIESActs as the technical expert for telecommunications networks (LAN, WAN, Internet gateways, etc.) and security appliances, provides daily oversight and manages these.
Serves as a reference for all network and security infrastructure. Responsible for planning, installing, configuring, supporting, documenting and optimizing the NFB’s networks and security solutions.
Collaborates with key individuals in the procurement process for network equipment and software. Monitors and ensures the availability and consistent performance of our corporate networks.
Collaborates with the other members of the Information Technology and Infrastructure sector to improve the quality of service delivered.
- Provides second level of network support for the Helpdesk team.MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIESAdministers the hardware and software of the NFB network across its Canadian offices;
- monitors the network and ensures that it’s up to date, maintained and secure at all times.Evaluates the LAN and WAN network requirements;
proposes technology policies on protocols, topologies and equipment required for the implementation of infrastructure projects.
Makes recommendations for the purchase of software and hardware to optimize the network’s performance.Participates in the preparation of request for proposal (RFP) packages, including a project-specific statement of work, technical requirements, etc.
for IT networking and security projects.Responsible for configuring and maintaining access-control rules throughout the network topology.
In collaboration with other team members, participates in all stages of projects that require networking (planning, design specifications, configuration, installation and integrated testing into production, stabilization) while respecting the methodology and project timelines.
In collaboration with management, makes recommendations geared towards developing and maintaining a scalable network architecture for the NFB;
implements approved solutions.Maintains accurate documentation and designs for information technology (IT) network configurations, architecture and procedures.
Participates in the development of disaster-recovery plans and related activities.Evaluates current state of NFB production’s high-speed network and makes recommendations regarding its deployment, configuration and management.
Manages all integrated cabling infrastructure and coordinates and / or performs activities associated with its installation and maintenance in all buildings occupied by the NFB.
Responsible for evolving the NFB network infrastructure to meet future needs.Ensures cohesion and interoperability between the NFB’s systems within the datacentre.
Responsible for virtual networking infrastructure within our VMWARE and Cloud environments.Responsible for the installation, configuration and maintenance of all NFB security hardware and software, such as firewalls, switches, routers, VPN and ISE, and their policies.
Responsible for the NFB’s intrusion-detection systems and security-event management; monitors events, analyzes alerts and implements solutions.
Analyzes and responds to security alerts from the Government of Canada Computer Incident Response Team (GC-CIRT).Along with the Chief Security Officer, IT Security Coordinator, and other IT Security Practitioners, participates in security monitoring and vulnerability management.
Actively promotes IT security.Keeps own skills up-to-date, performs technology watch and stays abreast of recent developments in the industry on a technical level, and actively participates in discussions about adopting them within the NFB.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSUniversity degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or equivalent;Minimum of eight years’ experience in a similar role and in support of large-scale, mission-critical, enterprise-level infrastructure;
- Demonstrated experience with Network security equipment and applications, most importantly Cisco products such as ASA, FirePOWER, ISE, Secure Client, AMP, Umbrella, WLC and Meraki equipment;
- Experience with Cisco networking and licensing;Extensive experience with VLAN, DVLAN, Wi-Fi, VPN, SD-WAN and SFLOW;Experience with network bandwidth and performance management;
- In-depth understanding of the TCP / IP, Ethernet, SNMP protocols;Strong experience with cloud computing and cloud infrastructure (Amazon and Azure) networking and security;
- Experience installing and troubleshooting SSL certificates;Knowledge of DNS systems, including their registration and configuration;
- Ample experience with web security solutions and monitoring tools such as Nessus, SIEM, Nagios and Checkmk;Knowledge of Microsoft technologies (features and roles including Active Directory Services, policies, DNS / DHCP / DFS / IIS), system security;
- Knowledge of the Unix, Linux and Windows-based operating systems;Knowledge of Fibre Channel Networks;Excellent knowledge of network operating systems and their environments;
Experience using virtualization solutions such as VMware;Bilingualism in both official languages (French and English), both orally and in writing.
- PERSONAL QUALITIESStrong aptitude for customer service and collaboration; active listening, excellent ability to understand needs and requirements;
- Ability to establish good interpersonal relationships and to be effective in professional interactions;Excellent ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, according to priorities and deadlines, taking an organized and meticulous approach to their work;
- Strong analytical skills with an interest in problem-solving;Responsible, solutions-oriented, resourceful and adapts easily to changing priorities;
- Ability to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team;Available to provide on-site or remote technical support outside of regular business hours, for emergency maintenance and, on occasion, critical events;
Available to travel across Canada occasionally.Interested candidates with the above qualifications are invited to apply in writing, including a copy of their résumé to
ca, BY JANUARY 24, 2024, citing competition number : MC-00021392.The NFB is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce that’s reflective of Canadian society.
It promotes initiatives such as employment equity and encourages candidates to voluntarily indicate in their cover letter if they are a woman, a member of a First Nations group, Inuk, Métis, a person with a disability, or a member of a visible-minority group.
The NFB is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. Feel free to advise us of any accommodation needs.
Please note that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.7 days ago