Montreal, Quebec, CA
Jan 23, 2024
Dentons is designed to be different. Our firm leads the way in a rapidly changing legal marketplace. We challenge the status quo and deliver consistent results as well as uncompromising quality and value to our clients.
Our global presence is renowned with over 21,000 individuals in more than 200 offices across 80 countries.
Dentons Canada is committed to its people and communities. We are consistently recognized as an employer of choice having received numerous awards including being selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers (2024);
Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2024); and Canada’s Best Diversity Employers (2023).
This role is an opportunity for you to join the world’s largest law firm, a firm that offers opportunities to build your career while growing your skills and deepening your expertise.
Position Summary :
Are you looking for an opportunity to work and grow your career at a dynamic and progressive global law firm? Do you enjoy interacting with people, and taking on interesting and challenging research questions and projects?
Are you a keen learner who is always looking to expand your skills and knowledge?
Dentons Canada is recruiting for a Research Specialist, located in our Montreal , QC office. Reporting to the Director, the Research Specialist will play an important role as part of a national team of professionals providing high-quality research, training and information services to lawyers, students, and staff.
At Dentons, you will work in a friendly and supportive team environment, and have access to best-in-class research tools and resources.
You will interact with Dentons colleagues around the world, and have the opportunity to participate in exciting learning and development programs and initiatives.
This is a full-time, permanent, agile / hybrid role, which includes a combination of working in the office and working from home.
- Conduct in-depth & value-added legal, business and media / news research, demonstrating knowledge and skill by identifying, analyzing and synthesizing relevant information to support client work.
- Identify, evaluate, analyze and summarize key information from relevant online and print sources to provide custom, high-quality research deliverables to lawyers and business services staff.
Prepare and write detailed, accurate and concise research deliverables.
- Develop, design and present legal and business research training using innovative methods and technology to students, lawyers and staff.
- Participate in legal technology and automation, knowledge management and other practice support projects and initiatives at Dentons.
- Develop and build strong relationships within the firm, and with key external trainers, vendors and legal publishers.
- Assist with the selection and evaluation of legal, tax and business research tools and resources, including online platforms, databases, and apps.
- Actively participate in Dentons global research and knowledge initiatives, professional development associations, learning opportunities and firm social events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in library or information science, or equivalent qualification from an accredited postgraduate university program is required.
- Fluency is French is required.
- 1-3 years relevant experience in professional services, law firms, financial services institutions is preferred. Recent graduates with some legal research experience, and a strong interest in law librarianship are also encouraged to apply.
- Must have excellent client service skills.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, and attention to detail is required.
- Must be self-motivated, and demonstrate initiative.
- Must possess good technical skills and online searching capabilities. Familiarity with and knowledge of online legal, business and media / news research platforms and tools, including Westlaw, Lexis Advance Quicklaw, Proview, Practical Law etc. is preferred.
- Must possess strong technical skills and online searching capabilities.
- Good project and time management skills, and the ability to work on multiple tasks and projects simultaneously is required.
- Be comfortable with change and possess ability to actively participate in, or lead new research initiatives and projects.
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision, and as part of a team of researchers located across the country.
- We thank all applicants who apply, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Dentons we are committed to offering equitable and competitive pay, we achieve this by aligning internal salary ranges for specific roles to similar positions in the external market.
In the normal course, our practice is to hire, transfer and promote employees within the entry part of our range, adjusting as needed based on the prior experience, skills and competencies required for the role along with any market differentials.
Rest assured the full salary range is competitive and within the range paid for similar positions in the external market.
Recognizing our exceptional talent means providing a comprehensive total rewards package beyond a competitive salary. We have prudently curated our employee benefits portfolio to offer inclusive and comprehensive wellbeing and developmental programs for our people.
With extended benefits and mental health plans, paid time off, savings plans, fitness subsidy, parental leave top up and more, our benefits are flexible, aligned to our core values and supports the various needs of our people.
Additionally, our personal and professional development programs include people networks, mentorships, and leadership series programming to help people grow their career.
Note : Availability of the benefits and perks may be subject to your location and employment type and may have certain eligibility requirements.
Dentons reserves the right to alter these programs and offerings in whole or in part at any time without advance notice.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Dentons Canada, inclusion, diversity and equity (ID&E) are not just ancillary values, they are foundational to our business.
We believe that ID&E is essential to the shared success of our team and our clients. Our forward-thinking and inclusive culture supports the professional development of all our people, enhances the leading services we offer to our clients, and informs our commitment to make a positive impact in the communities where we live and work.
As a testament to our commitment to ID&E, we have been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employer’s for 13 consecutive years (2011-2023), as well as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2024) for the seventh time.
Dentons Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome your application. All employment decisions, including hiring, will be made without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, creed, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender assigned at birth, gender identity, marital status, place of origin, race, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable human rights legislation.
We are committed to providing you with an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible workplace to support your success. Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process, for example as a result of a disability, please contact us at .2 hours ago